Astronaut Training with
Astronaut Training with
Sheila Frick & Mary Kawar
A SOUND ACTIVATED VESTIBULAR-VISUAL PROTOCOL
October 24-25, 2010; Sunday ~ Monday
The SMILE (Sensory Motor Integration and Language Enrichment) Center® is proud to present a 2 day course
by Sheila Frick, OTR & Mary Kawar, OTR to SMILE Network® therapists as they teach A 2 Day Course:
Astronaut Training: A Sound Activated Vestibular-Visual Protocol
Vestibular enhancement has always been central to sensory integration practice. However, the importance of
administering precise vestibular input that is integrated with specific sound and vision input is only beginning
to be acknowledged. This workshop will expand the therapist’s skills through enhanced understanding of the
developmental and neurological processes of the Vestibular-Auditory-Visual Triad. Understanding how these
three systems work together with the body’s senses creates a foundation for achieving competency in applying
specific intervention strategies, including a specific protocol taught in this workshop, Astronaut Training: A
Sound-Activated Vestibular-Visual Protocol. Astronaut Training provides precise input to all five vestibular
receptors, along with auditory and visual input to create a comprehensive treatment protocol that integrates
these three sensory systems. Core activities provide opportunities for an adaptive response to sensory input,
which completes the sensorimotor neurological circuits underlying all function. Guidelines are provided for
safe, effective utilization of this protocol with clients of all ages and diagnoses.
In this workshop, you will develop an understanding of:
• The connections between the vestibular, auditory and visual systems.
• The reciprocal interaction between the Vestibular-Auditory-Visual Triad and the core postural muscles.
• The importance of providing precise input to each of the five vestibular receptors.
• Powerful new tools to expand your clinical skills, including specific activities to develop and enhance core
• How to safely and effectively administer Astronaut Training, A Sound-Activated Vestibular-Visual Protocol.
Day 1: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Day 2: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
*Educational Units will be awarded via Vital Links:
Vital Links is an AOTA and ASHA approved provider of continuing education.
This two-day workshop provides 12 contact hours. 1.2 CEUs are available from AOTA and ASHA.
**Vital Links was founded in 1997 by Sheila M. Frick, OTR, to provide continuing education opportunities focused on cutting-edge
interventions. Sheila is an internationally esteemed clinician, lecturer, author, and pioneer in Occupational Therapy. She has over 20
years of clinical experience, and continues to develop innovative workshops & courses.
This workshop will be taught by Sheila Frick, OTR, and Mary Kawar, MS, OTR, who collectively have over 60
years of clinical experience in the practice of sensory integrative processing and motor control. Their creative
collaboration began 15 years ago with the discovery of a mutual passion for the vestibular system and its
profound impact on functional performance. Mary and Sheila are the authors of Astronaut Training: A Sound
Activated Vestibular-Visual Protocol, the second book in the Handbooks for Innovative Practice series.
Sheila’s 2010 courses with SMILE Center:
July 2010: Listening with whole body (July 22-23) & Advanced Listening with whole body (Jan 24-25)
SMILE Center’s upcoming Courses:
September 23-25, 2010: NDT Baby Treatment course with Gail Ritchie
October 6-8, 2010: Rib-cage & upper extremities facilitation workshop with Gail Ritchie & Rona Alexander
November 18-19, 2010: Visual Processing & CVI in Children with DD by Linda Nobles
Dec 9-10, 2010: NDT for PDD/ASD with Brenda Lindsay & Gail Ritchie
REGISTRATION FORM: Astronaut Training with Sheila & Mary, October 24-25, Sunday-Monday
Name: _ ____ Credentials: ________ _ Facility: _______ ___________
Billing Address: ____________ City: _____ _ _ State: ___ ___ Zipcode:__________
Daytime Phone: Email address: __ ________________________________
Registration Fee: $470 (including Astronaut Training: Handbook & Companion CD, $39 Value)
Please check here if you want to order Astronaut Board $150
AMOUNT ENCLOSED OR TO BE CHARGED: $______ ______
PLEASE CHARGE MY CARD: Visa MasterCard CARD #: _______________________________________
Exp. Date: _______/_______ V-code:__________(3-digita# on signature strip)
**** Check payment, please make payable to The SMILE Center ****
Mail/Fax completed registration form and check/billing to:
The SMILE Center
171 Madison Avenue, 5Th Floor, NY, NY 10016
Fax: 212-400-0384 or 718-599-3690
Time: Oct 24 ~ 25, Sunday ~ Monday, 2010
The SMILE Center is conveniently located at 171 Madison Ave, 5th Floor, corner of 33rd Street & Madison Ave in
Subway: B, D, F, N, Q, R, V, W trains to 34th St or 6 train to 33th St
For info please contact: Marisol LaFontaine, TEL: 718-599-3300 or 212-400-0383; email: [email protected]
Cancellations must be in writing and received by The SMILE Center two weeks prior to course; refund will not be granted after that date. Refund will be issued after
course date (minus $50 processing fee). You may transfer full registration to another SMILE Center course if you notify us two weeks in advance of workshop you are
cancelling. The SMILE Center reserves the right to cancel any course with due cause and refund in full. Participants purchasing non-refundable airfare tickets are
encouraged to inquire as to course availability before final purchase. Registrant bears sole responsibility for transportation to course. Weather or transportation
difficulties are not the responsibility of The SMILE Center, and failure of a chosen means of transportation is not grounds for registration fee refund when course is held.
Please visit us on www.smilenewyork.org
- Related pdf books
- 171 Madison Avenue, 5th Floor New York, NY 10016 Feeding ...
- NDT for PDD/ASD - The SMILE Center, PLLC
- March 24-26, Wednesday ~ Friday, 2010 New York, NY
- NDT Baby Treatment with Lois Bly - The SMILE Center, PLLC
- The certification course in Neuro-Developmental The NDT ...
- NDT & Myofascial Release with Gail Ritchie
- Visual Processing CVI for DD
- Torticollis Assessment & Treatment of Infants and Children
- Feeding Therapy A SensoryMotor Approach May 67 2012 FEEDING
- out on a limb-full - The SMILE Center, PLLC
- January 21-23, Friday ~ Sunday, 2011 New York, NY
- FACILITATION TECHNIQUES - More Than a Sensory Gym l The SMILE ...
- NDT Baby Treatment with Lois Bly - More Than a Sensory Gym l ...
- proudly presents SOLISTEN - More Than a Sensory Gym l The ...
- Achieving Sensory Processing in Relationships Building Patterns of
- NDT Baby Treatment with Lois Bly New York NY
- Astronaut Training with
- Popular epubs
- SVSM User Training and Example Sequences SQUID VSM Training ...
- 1. Objectives of Training and Specialty Training
- FY11 Customized Training Grant Recipients
- ABSTRACT DEVELOPMENT OF COACHES TRAINING: GLOBAL TRENDS John BALES ...
- CRITICAL FRIENDS GROUP eachers, JK-12 COACHES TRAINING INSTITUTE
- Training Agenda 1. - Thyristor Characteristics and Device Physics 3.
- Developing an Action-based Health and Safety Training Project in ...
- IUGA guidelines for training in female pelvic medicine and ...
- Order Form for Educational Products and On-line Training
- Education, Training and Workforce Planning educational products ...